Nat Sakimura is a well-known identity and privacy standardization architect at NAT Consulting and the Chairman of the Board of the OpenID Foundation and MyData Japan. Besides being an author/editor of such widely used standards as OpenID Connect, JWT (RFC7519), JWS (RFC7515), OAuth PKCE (RFC7636) ISO/IEC 29100 Privacy Framework Amd.1, and ISO/IEC 29184 Online privacy notice and consent, he helps communities to organize themselves to realize the ideas around identity and privacy.
As the chairman of the board of the OpenID Foundation, he streamlined the process, bolstered the IPR management, and greatly expanded the breadth of the foundation spanning over 10 working groups whose members include large internet services, mobile operators, financial institutions, governments, etc.
He is also active in public policy space. He is a Digital Special Advisor to the Japanese Fair Trade Comission and serves as a member of numerous governmental committees in Japanese. He is also advising OECD’s Working Party on Data Governance and Privacy in Digital Economy as a member of the Internet Technical Advisory Committee (OECD/ITAC).
He is currently the chair of the Japanese National Body to ISO/PC 317 Consumer Protection: Privacy by design for consumer goods and ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 27/WG 5 that standardizes Identity management and privacy technologies and is a founding board member of Kantara Initiative.
Personally, he was a flautist and still deeply loves (both western and Japanese) ‘classical’ music especially the 20th century and later. (Well, is that ‘classical’?) He spent six years in Kenya while he was in junior and senior high school, where he learnt how to horse ride to go after giraffe, and still loves the life there.
- Sakimura, N: “Digital Identity” (2021), Nikkei BP
- Sakimura, Bradley, Jay: “Financial-grade API Security Profile (FAPI) 1.0 – Part 2: Advanced ” (2021), OpenID Foundation
- Sakimura, Bradley, Jay: “Financial-grade API Security Profile (FAPI) 1.0 – Part 1: Baseline” (2021), OpenID Foundation
- Hokino, Fujiki, Onda, Kaneko, Sakimura, Sato: “A Practical Trust Framework: Assurance Levels Repackaged Through Analysis of Business Scenarios and Related Risks“, SSR, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer
- Sakimura, Bradley, Agaawal: “Proof Key for Code Exchange by OAuth Public Key Client” (2015), RFC7636, IETF.
- Jones, Bradley, Sakimura: “JSON Web Signature” (2015), RFC7515, IETF.
- Jones, Bradley, Sakimura: “JSON Web Token” (2015), RFC7519, IETF.
- Sakimura, Bradley, Agaawal, Jay: “OpenID 2.0 to OpenID Connect Migration 1.0” (2015), OpenID Foundation
- Sakimura: “Privacy Respecting Personal Data Federation Protocol Design” (2015), Digital Practice, Information Processing Society of Japan
- Sakimura, Jones, Bradley, de Madeiros, Mortimore: “OpenID Connect Core” (2014), OpenID Foundation
- Sakimura, Bradley, Jones, Jay: “OpenID Connect Discovery” (2014), OpenID Foundation
- Sakimura, Bradley, Jones: “OpenID Connect Dynamic Registration” (2014), OpenID Foundation
- Ito, Yasuoka, Tomita, Sakimura: “Use of the private infrastructure in the Government: Open (local) Government utilizing the Social CRM” (2011), NRI, Chiteki Shisan Souzou.
- Sakimura:”Les Societe Miserables and the National ID System – The Danger of identifier correlation seen in Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables” (2011), Gijutsu Hyouron
- Sakimura: “National ID System and Trust Frameworks” (2010), Horibe Masao Information Law Seminar Proceeding.
- Ohashi, Sakimura, Sakushima, Hori, “On the Substantial Study of Proxing Assurance between OpenID and SAML” (2010) Springer, Communications in Computer and Information Sciences 109.
- Jones, Recordon, Bradley, Sakimura et al. “OpenID Provider Authentication Property Extension” (2008), OpenID Foundation.
- Sakimura, Eijima “Shifting towards the context based system through the mobile phone as the user agent” (2006), NRI, Gijutsu Sohatsu.
- Sakimura: “Data Loss Prevention System” (2002), NRI, Chiteki Shisan Souzou.
- Sakimura: “White-collar productivity improvement through the utilization of the noise reduced environment and groupware.” (1997), NRI, Chiteki Shisan Souzou.
Patents / Patent Applications
Patent System Number 1.特許公開2009－230601 Communication systems, methods, authentication and the client. (Pending) 2.特許公開2008－204250 Authentication system and the relying partty methods. 3.特許公開2008－027222 Authentication System, Methods, and program. 4.特許公開2007－109122 Authentication System, Methods, and program. 5.特許公開2007－060172 Authentication Devices, Authentication Methods and Authentication Program. 6.特許公開2007－058469 Authentication System, Server, methods and authentication program. 7.特許公開2007－058468 Card based authentication, authentication system, authentication method and card authentication system. 8.特許公開2005－167700 User Information Management Systems.