About Nat Sakimura
Nat Sakimura is a well-known identity and privacy standardization architect at Nomura Research Institute and the Chairman of the Board of the OpenID Foundation. Besides being an author of such widely used standards as JWT (RFC7519), JWS (RFC7515), OAuth PKCE (RFC7636) and OpenID Connect, he helps communities to organize themselves to realize the ideas around identity and privacy.
As the chairman of the board of the OpenID Foundation, he streamlined the process, bolstered the IPR management, and greatly expanded the breadth of the foundation spanning over 10 working groups whose members includes large internet services, mobile operators, financial institutions, governments, etc.
He is also active in public policy space. He has been serving in various committees in the Japanese government including the Personal Data Working Group.
He is currently the head of delegates of the Japanese National Body to ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 27/WG 5 that standardizes Identity management and privacy technologies and is a founding board member of Kantara Initiative.
Personally, he was a flautist and still deeply loves (both western and Japanese) ‘classical’ music especially the 20th century and later. (Well, is that ‘classical’?) He spent 6 years in Kenya while he was in junior and senior high school, where he learnt how to horse ride to go after giraffe, and still loves the life there.
- Hokino, Fujiki, Onda, Kaneko, Sakimura, Sato: “A Practical Trust Framework: Assurance Levels Repackaged Through Analysis of Business Scenarios and Related Risks”, SSR, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer
- Sakimura, Bradley, Agaawal: “Proof Key for Code Exchange by OAuth Public Key Client” (2015), RFC7636, IETF.
- Jones, Bradley, Sakimura: “JSON Web Signature” (2015), RFC7515, IETF.
- Jones, Bradley, Sakimura: “JSON Web Token” (2015), RFC7519, IETF.
- Sakimura, Bradley, Agaawal, Jay: “OpenID 2.0 to OpenID Connect Migration 1.0” (2015), OpenID Foundation
- Sakimura: “Privacy Respecting Personal Data Federation Protocol Design” (2015), Digital Practice, Information Processing Society of Japan
- Sakimura, Jones, Bradley, de Madeiros, Mortimore: “OpenID Connect Core” (2014), OpenID Foundation
- Sakimura, Bradley, Jones, Jay: “OpenID Connect Discovery” (2014), OpenID Foundation
- Sakimura, Bradley, Jones: “OpenID Connect Dynamic Client, Registration” (2014), OpenID Foundation
- Ito, Yasuoka, Tomita, Sakimura: “Use of the private infrastructure in the Government: Open (local) Government utilizing the Social CRM” (2011), NRI, Chiteki Shisan Souzou.
- Sakimura:”Les Societe Miserables and the National ID System – The Danger of identifier correlation seen in Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables” (2011), Gijutsu Hyouron
- Sakimura: “National ID System and Trust Frameworks” (2010), Horibe Masao Information Law Seminar Proceeding.
- Ohashi, Sakimura, Sakushima, Hori, “On the Substantial Study of Proxing Assurance between OpenID and SAML” (2010) Springer, Communications in Computer and Information Sciences 109.
- Jones, Recordon, Bradley, Sakimura et al. “OpenID Provider Authentication Property Extension” (2008), OpenID Foundation.
- Sakimura, Eijima “Shifting towards the context based system through the mobile phone as the user agent” (2006), NRI, Gijutsu Sohatsu.
- Sakimura: “Data Loss Prevention System” (2002), NRI, Chiteki Shisan Souzou.
- Sakimura: “White-collar productivity improvement through the utilization of the noise reduced environment and groupware.” (1997), NRI, Chiteki Shisan Souzou.
Patents / Patent Applications
Patent System Number 1.特許公開2009－230601 Communication systems, methods, authentication and the client. (Pending) 2.特許公開2008－204250 Authentication system and the relying partty methods. 3.特許公開2008－027222 Authentication System, Methods, and program. 4.特許公開2007－109122 Authentication System, Methods, and program. 5.特許公開2007－060172 Authentication Devices, Authentication Methods and Authentication Program. 6.特許公開2007－058469 Authentication System, Server, methods and authentication program. 7.特許公開2007－058468 Card based authentication, authentication system, authentication method and card authentication system. 8.特許公開2005－167700 User Information Management Systems.